You are here

Frequently Asked Questions

General FAQs

What does the Office of the Oklahoma Attorney General do? 

The Attorney General of Oklahoma is an elected executive position in state government. The Attorney General serves as the chief legal and law enforcement officer of the state and is responsible for advising the various agencies and departments of state government. The Office of the Attorney General prosecutes offenses of the Oklahoma state statutes, advocates for the rights of residents, represents other state agencies, and serves the people of Oklahoma. 

Attorney General Gentner Drummond’s priorities include eliminating illegal marijuana grow operations in Oklahoma, improving tribal relations, addressing a culture of corruption and scandal, and ensuring transparency in government.

How can I contact the Attorney General’s office?

The front desk of the Attorney General’s office can be reached at (405) 521-3921.

Who can request a legal opinion?

Legislators, district attorneys, and any state officer, board, commission, or department can request a legal opinion. The Attorney General is not authorized to issue opinions to cities, towns, or other political subdivisions, school districts, private citizens or organizations.

To request an opinion, submit a signed written request containing, at a minimum, a complete statement of the relevant issues and a concise question of law, to [email protected] or mail to:

Opinion Coordinator
Office of the Attorney General
313 NE 21st Street
Oklahoma City, OK 73105

Requests from a state board or commission must be made by official action or a vote by the members. In addition, boards, commissions, or other agencies that have legal counsel must include in their request a legal memorandum citing basic research, points of law and the requestor’s own conclusion of the question(s) asked.

How can I get legal advice or help?

The Office of the Attorney General is not authorized to advise or represent private citizens on personal legal matters. If you need help with a personal legal matter, you should reach out to a private attorney. More information is available from the Oklahoma Bar Association at

Where can I look up Oklahoma state laws?

Oklahoma statutes are available at  The Oklahoma State Courts Network also compiles state statutes and court decisions, as well as the Oklahoma Constitution.


Consumer Protection

What is the Oklahoma Attorney General's Consumer Protection Unit?

The CPU enforces civil and criminal laws that prohibit fraud or deception in consumer transactions, which can range from purchasing a cell phone from a national company to engaging a local contractor to repair your home. They include sales that occur online, over the phone or in person. The CPU also enforces laws related to data privacy, price-gouging in times of emergency and charitable solicitations. Lastly, the CPU administers Oklahoma’s Do-Not-Call Registry.

How can I file a consumer complaint against a business or report a scam?

File a complaint with the Office of the Attorney General by downloading this form. Complete the form and email it to [email protected] with "Complaint" in the subject line. You may also attach any relevant documentation to your email. For more information, see

What information should I include with my complaint?

Please complete all portions of the complaint form and provide as detailed of a narrative as possible to describe the circumstances surrounding the transaction at issue. Please include additional pages if necessary. If you have supporting documentation that is relevant to your allegations, please include copies (not originals) with your complaint.

What happens to my complaint once it is submitted to the Consumer Protection Unit?

Your complaint will be reviewed by a consumer specialist and then forwarded to the business/individual you have named in the complaint. The business/individual will have 10 days to respond to the complaint. If the business/individual responds, our office will forward that response back to you to allow for additional response. Often, this written mediation process will resolve the complaint in a manner acceptable to both parties. When no resolution is reached, we will then determine whether the allegations warrant an investigation by our investigators and staff attorneys, or whether the complaint should be closed and the consumer advised to seek private legal advice.

Who do I contact for questions or concerns throughout the complaint process?

For information about your complaint, please call our office at 1-833-681-1895 and ask to speak to a consumer specialist. If your call is sent to voicemail, please leave a message. Your call will be returned within 24 hours. If you have a file number, please reference that when leaving a message so we may have the proper information to give you. Alternatively, you may also send us an email to [email protected] or letter to 313 NE 21st St Oklahoma City, OK 73105. 

I am not sure if my complaint is something you can help me with.  Should I file my complaint anyway?

Yes.  If the complaint is outside the jurisdiction of the CPU, we will get where it needs to go. Do not let doubts about the amount of money you spent, the time since the transaction occurred, where it occurred or any other factor deter you from filing a complaint.

How do I stop receiving unsolicited telemarketing calls?

You may register for the Oklahoma “Do Not Call” list on our website at However, registration for the Oklahoma “Do Not Call” list does not prevent every type of unsolicited call—statutory exceptions are listed on the registration page. Additionally, the “Do Not Call” list does not prevent scam calls or other types of illegal robocalls and robotexts.

The national “Do Not Call Registry” is available at


Medicaid Fraud

How do I report Medicaid fraud?

If you have any information about Medicaid provider fraud or patient abuse, please report it to the Office of the Attorney Generals Medicaid Fraud Unit at (405) 522-2963 or complete and submit this form.


Internet Crime

How do I report an internet crime against a child?

The Oklahoma Office of the Attorney General is an affiliate agency with the Oklahoma Internet Crimes Against Children Task Force and responds to online child exploitation throughout the state. 

To make a report of child exploitation, please contact our office at: (405) 521-3921 or contact the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children at 1-800-THE-LOST.


Tobacco Laws

Where can I see what tobacco manufacturers are approved for sale in Oklahoma?

The Tobacco Enforcement Unit is charged with enforcing the Oklahoma Prevention of Youth Access to Tobacco Act, which requires cigarette manufacturers selling to Oklahomans – either directly or indirectly through an intermediary – to become a participating manufacturer or make annual payments into an escrow account as a non-participating manufacturer. To see approved manufacturers and other information, visit our Tobacco Enforcement Unit Page.

How do I report a violation of Oklahoma tobacco control laws?

You can report a violation of tobacco control laws by calling us at (405) 521-2029 or toll free at (833) 681-1895.


Civil Rights Enforcement

What does the Office of Civil Rights Enforcement do?

The Office of Civil Rights Enforcement is dedicated to enforcing Oklahoma’s anti-discrimination laws, providing educational resources and partnering with the public to positively and proactively advance the cause of civil rights for the equal benefit and enjoyment of all Oklahomans. Find more information about civil rights enforcement at


Publich Utilities Regulation

What is the Office of the Attorney General's role in representing customers interested in regulated utility matters?

Under state law, the Office of the Attorney General represents the interests of Oklahoma's utility customers in energy, telecommunications and water utility rate related matters in state and federal courts, as well as in regulatory proceedings primarily before the Oklahoma Corporation Commission.

The Utility Regulation Unit within the Office of the Attorney General carries out this advocacy effort. For more information on the Utility Regulation Unit, visit the unit's page.