You are here
Consumer Protection Unit
Consumer Protection Unit
Through its Consumer Protection Unit (CPU), the Office of the Attorney General is committed to ensuring a safe and fair marketplace in Oklahoma.
To achieve this goal, the Consumer Protection Unit assists Oklahoma consumers through community outreach and education programs, mediation of consumer complaints and taking legal action when necessary against individuals or businesses engaged in deceptive, fraudulent or unfair advertising or sales practices.
The CPU processes thousands of consumer complaints every year. In many cases, the dispute can be resolved over the phone by a consumer representative or through a written mediation process. Through this process, the CPU returns tens of thousands of dollars in refunds to consumers every year. Our consumer representatives can be reached at 405-521-2029, 1-833-681-1895 or by email at [email protected].
Outreach and Education
One of the best ways to ensure a fair marketplace is to provide consumers with the tools to make informed decisions and to spot the warning signs of potential scams. Throughout the year, CPU attorneys, investigators and staff participate in community events to educate Oklahomans on subjects ranging from identity theft, to avoiding scams in the wake of weather-related disasters.
The CPU is charged with enforcing many state and federal laws that protect consumers against deceptive, unfair and fraudulent business practices. When appropriate, the CPU will take legal action to remedy violations of these laws.
Tips for Avoiding Fraud
- Stay patient, research companies and resist the urge to make quick decisions in the moment;
- Ask people you trust for the name of a reliable contractor;
- Avoid fly-by-night companies and use local companies that are established in the community;
- Obtain written estimates from multiple companies;
- Be cautious if an individual or business asks for a substantial up-front payment or cash payment;
- Use your best judgement. If a deal sounds too good to be true, it probably is.
- Review Disaster Scam Prevention
Our consumer representatives can be reached at:
- [email protected]
File a consumer complaint with the Office of the Attorney General by downloading and completing the form below. Then, save the completed form as a PDF and email it to [email protected] with "Complaint" in the subject line. You may also attach any relevant documentation to your email.