Domestic Violence Awareness Month Events
· Wear Purple Day: Everyone is encouraged to wear purple on Thursday to show support for victims and survivors of domestic violence.
· News Conference – Capitol Blue Room - DVAM Excellence in Action Awards
A news conference is scheduled at 1:30 p.m. Thursday in the Governor’s Blue Room. Speakers and presenters include: Attorney General Pruitt; Michael Thompson, Oklahoma Secretary of Safety and Security; Sandra Harrison, chief administrative officer for the Oklahoma Department of Human Services; Marcia Smith, executive director of Oklahoma Coalition Against Domestic Violence and Sexual Assault (OCADVSA); Suzanne McClain Atwood, executive coordinator of the District Attorneys Council; Evelyn Hibbs, chairwoman of OCADVSA; and Richard Wu, District Manager, Verizon Wireless.
· AG Reception: A special reception will be held immediately following the awards presentation at the Attorney General’s Office, 313 NE 21, southwest of the State Capitol. The reception is sponsored by the OCADVSA through Verizon Wireless and the Oklahoma District Attorneys Council.
· Evening Capitol Ceremony: The event will begin at 6:30 p.m. on the South Lawn of the State Capitol. A ceremonial balloon release is scheduled and music will be provided by the All Saints Catholic School Choir. The event is open to the public and is sponsored by the OCADVSA through Verizon Wireless and the Oklahoma District Attorneys Council.
· “Hands are not for Hurting” Poster Project: Each fall, children who receive services from certified domestic violence service providers are asked to create a poster depicting a specific theme. The posters are displayed throughout October at the Attorney General’s Office, 313 NE 21, in Oklahoma City. The 8th Annual Poster Project is sponsored by the Attorney General’s Office, the Oklahoman Association of Chiefs of Police and the Oklahoma Sheriffs Association.
Domestic Violence Awareness - Poster Project2.jpg